Saturday, November 17, 2012

Beet Carpaccio with Cumin Scented Walnut Crumble and Tahini Lemon Sauce

 
 
I tend to get stuck in ruts when it comes to my dinner choices.  I have been having Mexican food almost every night lately, and i decided that I needed to branch out last week.  I had a bag of beets in my fridge just calling my name and so I decided that they would make a delicious dinner.  I wasn't sure what to make, I thought about raw beet ravoili, but decided to make something a little more simple.  Beet carpaccio.  Afterall, they would look lovely all laid out on a plate.


 
 
I thought about doing a simple mediterranean carpaccio, but then thought one with middle eastern flavors would be more interesting.  I made a cumin scented walnut crumble, some lemon tahini sauce, and added some avocadoes for richness, spinach for color and shallots for flavor. It was far more delicious than I could have imagined.  I didn't mind saving the ravoili for another time, thinking outside the box was far more fun!

 
 
Beet Carpaccio with Cumin Scented Walnut Crumble and Tahini Lemon Sauce
Serves 2

Beets:
2 organic raw golden beets, peeled and sliced paper thin
2 organic raw red beets, peeled and sliced paper thin
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
sea salt

Walnut Crumble:
1 cup raw walnuts, soaked and dried
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground chipotle
1 garlic clove
sea salt to taste
2-3 Tbsp filtered water

Tahini Lemon Sauce:
2 Tbsp raw tahini
2 Tbsp filtered water (or as needed)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
sea salt to taste

1 just ripe avocado, sliced
1 shallot, sliced
baby spinach

Place red beets in a bowl and gold beets in another bowl. Drizzle each with 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp lemon juice as well as a pinch of sea salt.  Toss to coat, and set aside.
To make walnut crumble, combine all ingredients in a food processor except water.  Pulse until combined and finely chopped.  Add filtered water 1 Tbsp at a time until mixture starts to clump together, set aside.
To make tahini sauce, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. 
To assemble, on two plates, arrange beet slices in a circle starting at the outside of the plate, alternating red and golden, filling the plate.  Top with avocado, shallot slices, and a little baby spinach.  Drizzle with tahini sauce, and top off with walnut crumle.  Serve!

 

6 comments:

  1. absolutely lovely! makin me hungry again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this recipe, i've made it today and it was great! Im a parttime veggie, and ate it with Mackerel, which was a great combo with this recipe for people who like to eat fish!

    Your cakes look super yummy as well!

    Anouk (the netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you made the recipe :)! Thanks for letting me know how it turned out!

      Delete
  3. Just made this. It's great! Thank you for sharing ^_^

    ReplyDelete