Friday, December 7, 2012

Raw Pomegranate Chipotle Brownie Bites



Whenever I watched the Wizard of Oz when I was little, I was wishing I had a pair of ruby slippers.  Mostly because I am attracted to sparkly things.  Afterall, when I was five, I wanted my last name to be changed to Sparkle.  But, also because I have always had a thing for rubies.  They are my birthstone and you have to admit, the brilliant sparkly red is quite beautiful.  Now that I am adult, I still enjoy sparkly things, but I far prefer costume jewelry to real.  Or...pomegranate seeds to actual rubies. I call them little rubies because they remind me of them.  A bowl of pomegranate seeds is one of the most beautiful things this time of the year as far as I am concerned!

 
I have been enjoying them in everything as of lately, and I couldn't help but think about how amazing they would be in raw brownies.  I have tried berries...but for a seasonal twist the pomegranate seeds seemed perfect!  I could have simply left it at that with the pomegranates and chocolate, but I decided to add a heat element as well with a touch of chipotle.  I am a girl that likes a kick, especially with my chocolate. 


The batter was amazing, and I sampled far too much but I could tell these were going to be something special.  So when they finally emerged from the dehydrator and I was trimming the scraps off I decided that they needed a fudgy frosting too.  I contemplated making them regular sized brownies...but the thought of bite sized brownies topped off with a few brightly colored sparkly pomegranate seeds sounded far more sexy. 


Sexy they were with their "rubies"atop, almost too pretty to eat, but who am I kidding, I devoured one in a second. My mouth filled with fudgy decadent brownie studded with tart sweet bursts of pomegranate and a kick at the end...far more delicious than I had imagined in my head. 

 
 
Raw Pomegranate Chipotle Brownie Bites
Makes 18

Brownies:
2 cups almond meal*
3 cups dried shredded coconut
1 cup sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat (or additional almond meal)
1 cup raw cocoa powder
2/3 cup  raw coconut nectar, maple syrup or your choice liquid sweetener
2 small apples, diced
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder

1 cup pomegranate seeds, plus more for garnish

Frosting:
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup raw coconut nectar, maple syrup or your choice liquid sweetener
1 Tbsp raw coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
a large pinch sea salt

To make brownies, combine almond meal, coconut, buckwheat and cacao powder in the food processor and process until finely ground.  Add nectar, apples, sea salt and chipotle powder and process until very smooth like brownie batter.  Place batter in a bowl, and mix in 1 cup of the pomegranate seeds.  Place batter on a teflex lined dehydrator* sheet, spread out into a rectangle about 1 inch high and dehydrate for about 12 hours, then flip over (carefully using another flat cutting board or something to assist) and dehydrate another 4 hours or so until the brownies are firm, but still fudgy in the middle.  Flip back over and place on a flat surface.
To make frosting, whisk together all ingredients until smooth and the consistency of frosting (if too thick, add a little more nectar, if too thin, a little more cacao powder).  Spread the mixture over the brownies and refridgerate for about an hour.  Cut into 1 inch squares, and top each square with a few pomegranate seeds.

*If you do not own a dehydrator, you can make these in the oven at the lowest possible temp.  Just place on a lined baking sheet, and bake for about 6 hours, then check them as they will take less time.

20 comments:

  1. These look fantastic. Your last picture with the bite out is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! They taste as good as they look!

      Delete
  2. DAMN those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made chipotle chocolate cookies before, but pomegranate chipotle chocolate? Now I'm intrigued!

    I don't like coconut much, though, so could I substitute all or some of it with more almond flour with some other ingredient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combination is wonderful :)! You could swap out the coconut for more almond flour or buckwheat, it may just need a little more sweetening since the coconut adds sweetness. You can't really taste the coconut.

      Delete
  4. Could I use my leftover almond meal from the almond milk or would you suggest drying it out first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest drying it out because the measurement could be different once dry.

      Delete
  5. Amy, these sounds INSANELY delicious. Cannot wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I hope you do try them!

      Delete
  6. Hehe, love the change from sparkly Dorothy shoes to sexy with these jewel bites, Amy. I LOVED that film at Christmas time (well, that's about the only film they kept putting on the TV!) but never had the same flash on the shoes - was obsessed about and felt sorry for the tin man :-(
    What a wonderful idea you have here. Sparkling jewels and chocolate. Perfect for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jill :)! It was a great movie no matter which part we loved the most ;).

      Delete
  7. Pomegranate and chocolate: a marriage made in heaven! Can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mike! I hope you do try them :)!

      Delete
  8. I Love it! Of course I had to make my own modifications & I don't have a dehydrator but it turned out RAWMAZING! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! So glad you decided to make them :)!

      Delete
  9. Just discovered your blog. Wow, wow, and wow! Photos, writing, and recipes superb! Just made these, baked at lowest temp. We do have a dehydrator, but didn't have 12+ hours for them. These are wonderful. Deep, moist, complex. Will make these again and again. Thanks so much.

    I thought I was the only one who thinks of fruits and veggies as jewels! Yup, pomegranate arils are definitely better than any ruby in any old jewelry store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)! So glad you made them and enjoyed them! Thank you for letting me know what you thought. Fruits are jewels :)! Great minds think alike!

      Delete
  10. Can't wait to make these! At what temperature would you dehydrate them?

    ReplyDelete