Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Raw Double Chocolate Cannoli

 
 
I thought it would be fun to make raw cannoli last weekend, but I wanted it to be non-traditional.  I was in the mood for something chocolaty, and at first what came to mind was a chocolate mousse filling, but then it became chocolate shell and chocolate drizzle. After all, you can never have too much chocolate right?

 
 
It was a long hard wait for the shells to dehydrate (well, not really that long...just overnight).  I wanted the filling to be rich and creamy so I used avocados this time since they are so smooth and perfect for chocolate mousse. Once I had drizzled the cannoli with raw chocolate and was ready to dive in, I decided that they needed some pistachios and fruit as well.  Then they were perfect!  Decadent and rich, yet perfect to share with another chocolate lover!  My boyfriend Eric devoured most of them, which made me happy since that meant they were really good. 
 
 
Raw Double Chocolate Cannoli
Makes 3

Cannoli shell:
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup finely shredded dried coconut
6 soft medjool dates
¼ cup raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
1 tablespoon filtered water
2 Tbsp raw cacao powder


Chocolate mousse filling:
2 medium ripe avocados
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp raw cacao powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp raw coconut nectar
1 Tbsp coconut butter, warmed to liquid

Raw Chocolate:
1/4 cup raw coconut oil, warmed to liquid
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
2 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or maple syrup
a pinch sea salt.

3 Tbsp chopped raw pistachios
fresh organic raspberries for garnish

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Once processed, on non-stick lined dehydrator trays, form into 3 circles about 4-5 inches wide and 1/8 inch thick (if they are too thin, they will break). Dehydrate at 115 degrees F until nearly dry but still pliable about 6-8 hours, then roll up like a cannoli and continue to dehydrate a few hours longer.  Set aside in the fridge.

To make the filling, combine all ingredients until smooth, then place in a pastry bag and fill the cannoli shells.  Place on a piece of foil. 
Whisk together the raw chocolate ingredients, then drizzle over the cannoli.  Place them in the freezer to set the chocolate, then place on a serving plate.  Scatter chopped pistachios over the top and garnish with berries.


 

31 comments:

  1. Great job! These look and sound fantastic. I'm sure I could down a couple of these. Love that you added the avocado, I would have never thought of that.

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! The avocado has a wonderful texture, which is why I used it.

      Delete
  2. Looks great! How can we make this if we don't have a dehydrator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately you probably can't because it would not work in an oven and would not be raw.

      Delete
  3. OMG this looks amazing! i will be trying this one as soon as i get a dehydrator in my kitchen... thanks for the always fabulous recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! You should definitely get one, they are such a great investment and well worth it :)! You are so welcome!

      Delete
  4. You cant make it without one. it would not be raw without a dehydrator. but you can use a oven at the lowest temp, but most likely it wont work. hence it is a raw dessert ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I do not think it would work in an oven and yes it would not be raw ;).

      Delete
  5. This is so mean....I mean it looks so great!!! Wish I could make and try them right now....but...have to wait until tomorrow!!! Great idea, you made a gret job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I hope you do try them!

      Delete
  6. *drooling* I love chocolate! I so wish I had a dehydrator so I could make all these yummy desserts, especially yours. ;) These cannoli's look like chocolate dessert heaven on a plate! I am always so eager to see what your next genius creation will be! ;)
    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I hope you get one someday, since I know you are serious about raw food :)! Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!

      Delete
  7. Dear Amy!

    I just simply love your blog and your recipes! Everything you make looks so delicious!
    I would like to ask you what kind of blender, food processor and dehydrator you use? I'm just looking for the kitchen equipment and would like your opinion :)
    Thank you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :)! I use a Cuisinart 9 cup food processor, a vitamix 500 blender, and a 5 tray Excalibur dehydrator.

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh! I like cannoli and I like chocolate. These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome :)! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Amazing! I've read a lot of raw food recipes, but no one has done cannoli. You have really hit the right balance of creativity, whole foods, and fun, delicious flavor in all your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)! There are a few recipes out there, but this is my take ;)!

      Delete
  10. What kind of dehydrator do you use/recommend? I would love to make my own sundried tomatoes from my garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Nevermind, I just saw the answer above - major Friday afternoon brain going on here!

      Delete
    3. Awesome :)! I hope you find one!

      Delete
  11. Hi Amy,
    Is there something you could suggest besides using avocado? Maybe tofu I was thinking? (I know that's not raw) but I'm allergic to avocados... (sad, but true) I'd love to try making these.
    Thanks!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not recommend tofu, but I do recommend making a cream such as in this recipe: http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot.com/2012/09/raw-red-velvet-raspberry-chocolate.html
      but omitting the raspberries and adding a couple Tbsp more cacao powder.

      Delete
  12. This is the perfect blog for all .I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!!
    Raw Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  13. These were delicious! Mine didn't look quite as nice as yours, but still tasted amazing. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed them :)! The taste is what counts anyway right? ;) You are so welcome!

      Delete
  14. You are a genious! These look so great! :)

    ReplyDelete