Sunday, August 18, 2013

Raw Peach Cobbler Ice Cream

 
I used to be obsessed with warm fruit cobblers straight out of the oven, all bubbly and just begging for a scoop of cool ice cream to melt over them.  I would sit down and eat them, slowly as the ice cream cooled the hot fruit, creating a creamy sauce among the crunchy bits of cobble topping and it was heaven.  It has been longer than a year since I have made one of those since I do not scald my food until it is bubbling anymore being raw.  But that does not mean I can not enjoy cobbler. 
 
 
Peach was my favorite. So last week when I was dreaming about cobbler and ice cream, I just decided to marry the two and be done with it.  No hot bubbling cobbler here...but you know what?  I did not miss it at all!  This ice cream was damn delicious with the raw cinnamon laced "cobble biscuit" chunks I stirred in, the sweet peach swirl and creamy peach ice cream base.  


After all, it makes more sense to eat something cooling on a 90 degree day right?  You can enjoy your cobbler and ice cream too this way, and not sweat in the process!

 
Raw Peach Cobbler Ice Cream
Makes about 6 cups

Shortcake:
1 cup raw dried finely shredded coconut

1 cup raw sprouted dehydrated buckwheat groats
4 soft medjool dates
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 tsp cinnamon
 1/8 tsp sea salt


Ice Cream:
1 cup coconut water
2  cups young coconut meat (or 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained if coconut is unavailable)
2 cups soaked raw cashews, drained (soaked at least 4 hours)
1/2 cup raw agave nectar or raw honey or raw coconut nectar
seeds of one vanilla bean
a pinch of sea salt
2 cups fresh organic peaches, diced
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed to liquid

Swirl:
1 cup fresh organic peaches, diced
2 pitted soft medjool dates (soaked in water 30 minutes if not soft and drained well)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon

To make shortcake chunks, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until finely ground and holds together when squeezed. Form into small chunks and place in a bowl. Place in the freezer until hard. 
Add coconut water to a food processor, along with cashews,  coconut, agave nectar, vanilla, sea salt, peaches, cinnamon and nutmeg. Process until smooth, then with the processor running, add the coconut oil slowly and process until well incorporated, about a minute. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions.

Meanwhile to make the swirl, combine all ingredients and blend in the food processor until smooth.  Set aside.  When the ice cream is done churning, remove from ice cream maker, stir in shortcake chunks, then pour 1/3 into a freezer safe container with a lid. drizzle 1/3 of the swirl over it, then pour half the remaining ice cream over that.  Drizzle with half the remaining swirl, then top with the remaining ice cream then the remaining swirl.  Place in the freezer and let sit for at least four hours or overnight to firm up to scoopable consistency. 

6 comments:

  1. that looks amazing. YUM!

    just found your blog. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! Welcome, happy to have you here!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love your ice cream recipes! I'm a raw newbie, and am really enjoying your blog posts. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)! I am so happy you are enjoying them. I am happy to share, you are welcome!

      Delete
  3. Amy, I too loved warm peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream growing up. Well I am raw now and I made a raw peach cobbler by blending cut up dried mango(mango's fragrance is similar to peach) with fresh peaches with the addition of a little bit of raw honey to sweeten to make the thick syrup sauce, then add fresh cut peaches. For the topping I coarsely processed walnuts dates and cinnamon and nutmeg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy! I like the addition of the mangos.

      Delete