Monday, April 28, 2014

Raw Beautiful Beet Risotto


I used to make a delicious red beet risotto before I was raw.  It was the most beautifully colored dish, vibrant pinkish red and of course it had plenty of beety goodness which I can not get enough of.  If you read my recipes often, you will notice I try to sneak beets in often.  In desserts, in drinks, and of course savory dishes!  Which is why I loved that risotto so much. I decided last week that I had to recreate it in raw form.


I used a cauliflower rice base, made a creamy red beet sauce with a dash of orange, some fresh basil and a little walnuts and hempseeds for richness.  I stirred in some other colorful veggies I had on hand and voila!  Pure savory deliciousness.  This is my kind of comfort food, the raw kind that fills me up and satisfies me without leaving me feeling heavy and starch filled.  If you are a beet fan at all, you must try this!  I had the entire recipe for dinner it was that good.


Raw Beautiful Beet Risotto
Serves 1-2

1 cup red beet, chopped
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 garlic clove
2 Tbsp raw walnut butter
3 Tbsp raw shelled hemp seeds
2 Tbsp fresh basil
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1/4 tsp himalayan or sea salt or to taste

4 cups cauliflower, chopped
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1 yellow or red bell pepper, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved

In a high speed blender, combine the beet, orange juice, garlic, walnut butter, hemp seeds, basil, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
In a food processor place the cauliflower and pulse until it is chopped like small rice grains (but not too long or it will be mush). Add to a bowl, along with the scallions, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes and pour over the beet mixture.  Mix together well and serve at room temperature or warmed a little in the dehydrator.  

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I made the beet dressing tonight for my big salad, and it is ROCKING DELICIOUS! Thank you for posting this recipe, I will be making it again. However, I used raw fermented beets for the added probiotic kick, as I always do. Fermenting the beets also takes away some of the throat-clawing power of raw beets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed it and tailored it to your needs :)!

      Delete