Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Summer Broccoli Fennel Slaw


I think sometimes slaw doesn't get enough credit.  It can be delicious, and it is a staple at summer picnics.  But you don't hear anyone saying..."I love me some coleslaw!" I actually do love coleslaw. At least the raw stuff I make not the ones filled with mayonnaise and refined sugar.  Coleslaw can be made with a light vinaigrette or a creamy non-dairy dressing and be even more delicious than the traditional unhealthy varieties.  Broccoli slaw is always good, and a wonderful way to use those stalks that are leftover from other uses.  I admit I take home broccoli stalks from work and either juice them or make slaw because I feel bad throwing those beauties away.


This was my latest broccoli stalk creation.  I combined the julienned stalks with fennel, carrots, apples and scallions for a delicious salad!  I tossed it with a creamy walnut butter dressing, with some hempseeds included for good measure.  It was wonderful!  Next time you need a side dish, give this coleslaw a thought!  It is a good alternative to the usual!


Summer Broccoli Fennel Slaw
Serves -6

Dressing:
1/2 cup raw walnut butter
2 Tbsp raw, shelled hemp seeds
6 medjool dates, pitted
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup filtered water or more as needed
Himalayan salt to taste

3 cups julienned broccoli stalks
2 large fennel bulbs, julienned
1 large carrot, julienned
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
1 apple, julienned
1/4 cup raw, shelled hemp seeds plus more for sprinkling

For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth, adding more filtered water if necessary for a thinner consistency.  Place all of the veggies and 1/4 cup hemp seeds in a large bowl and toss with the dressing.  Serve sprinkled with a few additional hemp seeds.


3 comments:

  1. A super fantastic salad! I made it this evening! It was Amazing, that dressing was divine! Xx ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always use the stalk of the broccolli - if I'm cooking it just gets chopped up and thrown in with the florets, and I had a lovely Japanese salad once made mostly with the raw stalk. Only recently really discovered coleslaw (never had in in pre-vegan days!) and love it. This recipe looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coleslaw too, especially my own. This looks a delicious variety.

    ReplyDelete